I got a fascinating email from Midas this week that I just had to share.
Did you know that approximately 70% of winter deaths are attributed to snow and ice involvement with motor vehicles? To help prepare drivers for those unexpected winter conditions, Midas has prepared a few easy winter driving tips to help prepare you and your car for the colder temperatures. A few tips include:
1. Maximize your visibility – Replace worn wiper blades. Generally, windshield wipers should be replaced every six months – and ensure that your heater and defroster are working properly to aid in window clearing. Before you start driving, always remove all snow and ice from the hood, roof and trunk surfaces of your vehicle, not just the windshield.
2. Plan extra driving time – Whether it’s rainy, snowy or icy, your car is at risk of hydroplaning, slipping or sliding if you drive too fast. Allot extra time to get to your destinations during winter months so you don’t have to rush.
3. Prevent fluid freezing – A variety of fluids are needed to keep your car running efficiently, and require different techniques to prevent them from freezing. Fill your windshield washer reservoir with a winter-rated washing solution.
For a full list of winter road safety tips, visit our resource page at www.midaswintersafety.com.
Midas has also compiled a collection of essential winterizing videos for drivers, that will help walk you through the steps to prepare your car for the colder temperatures:
- Winterizing Tips from Midas
- Winterizing Tips from Midas 2
If you’ve got younger drivers on the road, take a few moments to go over these valuable safety tips-especially if you’ve got winter weather coming on.
Earnest Parenting: help for parents of young drivers.