Things To Check In Your Home That May Be Making Your Family Sick

woman laying on couch, blowing nose

Is your family having an unusually high number of trips to the doctor? Does it seem as if you don’t have the energy or stamina you once did? Perhaps the issue is in your home. Here are some of the most common places to check, and some of the possible causes you can find in each location:

The Faucet

Whether you are on a well or a public water system, drinking water can become contaminated. This can be due to biological issues like bacteria or parasites, or more commonly by mineral contamination like lead or salt. You can have your water checked by either your utility or a private lab. While you wait, protect yourself. According to Alberta Water Services, a company who provides drinking water in Calgary, it is best to use alternate water sources while your well or pipes are being repaired.

Under the Floors and the Walls

Mold is another common health hazard, and can be found anywhere there is an abundance of moisture. This includes the inside of walls, attics with a leaky roof, subflooring, crawl spaces, basements, and anywhere else there is little air flow and too much water. If you suspect this, get a professional to inspect the area as soon as possible, as some of the molds can cause irreversible health issues. When mold is confirmed, you may need to move out until the problem is fixed.

The Carpet

Dust mites are one of the most common allergies that people face, and live mostly in soft, humid surfaces. If you suspect they are a problem, cleaning well may not be enough. Many have to eliminate their wall-to-wall carpeting, change their curtains out for hard blinds, and purchase mite-proof bedding. If this seems to be too cost-prohibitive, look into mite sprays for the carpets to try and cut down on the allergen proteins.

The Heating System

Incomplete combustion and leaky pipes are some of the most common ways that carbon monoxide can leak into a house. This gas can cause a number of chronic health conditions, and in extreme cases can cause death. Many building codes now require carbon monoxide detectors in commercial buildings and rental homes, and they’re a good idea in every bedroom.

The Basement

Besides mold and water damage, basements are also common places to find radon gas. This gas is more common in some parts of the country than others, and most dangerous in below ground. Detectors are the easiest way to know if you have radon, which usually requires mitigation services to remedy.

Though there are many places where health hazards can lurk in a home, preventative maintenance and proper alarms can help prevent some of the most common issues. Though this may not address every problem, it is a good starting point to restoring the health of you and your loved ones.

Earnest Parenting: help for parents who want healthy homes.

{ 2 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment


× 8 = fifty six

CommentLuv badge